Thursday, January 20, 2011

1/20/2011

I’m on my search for ‘bizarre’ recipes.  And I’m not really sure what I’m looking for.  I want to find recipes that are far out of our comfort zone as Americans.  If you think about it, what are Americans known for?  Food wise; we’re a pretty simple lot; hamburger and fries, the hot dog vender on the street, macaroni and cheese, and the southern fried chicken we’ve all come to love.  I don’t know about you, but I want to know more.  I want to know what rabbit tastes like, what snake and alligator taste like.  Will it be difficult, absolutely?  But isn’t that the point?  Isn’t that the point of self exploration? 
So like I said, I’m on the hunt for a recipe.  Do I want to travel to China first?  How about Russia?  Ireland, or how about to the land of my ancestors, Germany?  I have settled on Greece this week.  Let the research begin.
Not only do I want to research the recipes, I want to research the culture.  Learn what food means to the people.  I want to understand what food means, what traditions these people have with their food.  Is it merely a meal they seek, or something more? 

No comments:

Post a Comment